Thursday, July 3, 2014

Easy Homemade Deodorant



I consider this to be one of the first really crunchy things that I've done. (yeah, yeah, I know I had a homebirth) But I swear the idea started out as me just being cheep. I ran out of deodorant and started using my husbands. Sexy, I know. I considered walking across the street to the store to get some but I was being lazy. And obviously I like smelling like a man. After a few days I decided to Google "homemade deodorant", as one does, and was excited to realize that I had all the stuff already in my house on the second recipe listed on this post from Wellness Mama.  I was SUPER skeptical about this working. Were taking about sweat here. And while I don't exactly have a problem with sweating too much or smelling too bad, its still something I considered to be best left to the professionals to handle.

6 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup corn starch

 So I gathered up my coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch; measuring cup, bowl and spoon. (be sure to use the extra virgin oil for anything skin related!) This was seriously easy. It took a couple of minutes to really get the powder combined but mix and your done. I had these little purple snack containers for the Dollar Tree that was the perfect size to store it in.

I did this on a whim first thing in the morning so I went ahead and put it on. A pee sided amount on each side seemed good to me. I went through the day with caution, smelling myself every once in a while. I even went out for a while in the heat. Nothing. Not only did not smell, but I was dry too. I almost didn't believe it. The next day I was walking a 5K and I figured that would be the real test. It worked perfect. No problems at all, and no need to reapply later in the day!

I've been using it not for two weeks and it's still holding up. I do have to give one pretty major warning. Coconut oil turns from solid to liquid in warmer temps. So one day in the middle of the summer heat the power went out. It turned into a soupy mess. I tried to move it and got oil EVERYWHERE. Then when it cooled down it had separated and I had to remix it. It was a giant pain in the ass. Learn from my experience and be careful where you leave it and handle it in hot conditions. I'm sure making a different recipe with the shea butter would be better but I don't really know.  

All in all I'm very happy and don't plan on going back to store bought anytime soon. I do hope to add some essential oils in the next batch although I'm not sure what to use. Have you tried making your own deodorant? How did it work for you? Please share your experiences! deodorant

No comments:

Post a Comment